ip address query

Linux Tyro ubuntu.bkn1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:13:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com>wrote:

On 31 October 2011 06:57, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > When we create a website of our own, then we need a ip address and we
> cannot
> > use the one we actually have from our isp for this purpose?
>
> Nope - you can run a web server on your local machine and when I browse
> your hosted website, I'll be talking to your machine on your
> WAN address (the internet facing IP address) - the address allocated
> to you by your ISP. However, when you query other machines in your
> home network, they will have 192.168.* or 10.* addresses.

For running a web server on my local machine, I would create the web-server
(with the ip given to me by my isp, is it like this....?), but in fact if
you will talk to that machine (i.e., to that web-server which was created
on the local machine), you would connect with an ip-address (of course),
and that ip address is the one given by my isp to me.....? My hosted
website, that is the created web-server on my local machine is in this case
using the ip address given to me by my isp...? And it is the same ip
address from which I surfing websites too..

> Think of it as your WAN address is your real postal address - 10 Front
> Street, whereas your internal 192.168. addresses are the various rooms
> in your house. Anyone who wants to come in to your house needs your
> external address, but once they are in they can visit any room. Your
> router acts as your front door.

Oh I see.

> That's a fairly weak analogy but it'll suffice...

Not weak, but I got the idea, its a good analogy.

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"