11.10 xfce menu issue

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 30 14:03:33 UTC 2011

I find that, with 11.10, if I haven't used the Applications Menu for a
while, the information seems to get removed from memory (I don't mean
swapped out - I have 4GB and gkrellm doesn't seem to think I'm using any
swap), so that when I click on the button there is much whirring of disks
and not far short of 10 seconds elapses before the menu appears.  It's as
if the data on all the entries (icons etc) is being collected from the hard
disk from scratch.

I've not used xfce before, so I'm not sure how it is supposed to work.  Is
this normal?

Is there, perhaps, a way of configuring the system so that the menu
information remains loaded in memory?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber