whether my system is 32 bit o 64 bit?

Linux Tyro ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:20:14 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:

Aha! Sorry, yes, there's some weirdity surround the names of 386-alike
> architectures, and I should have been a bit more specific! In case it
> helps, here's a bit of disambiguation:
>
> x86 refers to the <something>86 line of Intel instruction sets
> - 386, 486, 586 (pentium) 686 (pentium pro). They're found in
> Pentium, Centrino, Celeron, Xeon, Atom processors from Intel
> and also AMD's K-series amongst others, and are all 32-bit.
>
> amd64, x86_64, emt64 refer to amd's 64-bit extensions to x86. This is
> what most people mean when they say '64-bit'. x64 is sometimes used to
> denote this, too, somewhat confusingly. Because this was first found
> only on amd processors (since they invented it, and Intel preferred
> ia64), this was initially named 'amd64' and that name has stuck in
> several places, including Debian and Ubuntu package names.
>
> ia64 - refers to Intel's other 64-bit instruction set which had nothing
> to do with the x86 one. It was a joint venture between HP and Intel and
> is still generally not found outside of HP servers.
>

> In short, then, if you want a '64 bit' version of Ubuntu, you want the
> amd64 one, even if your processor is made by Intel.

I again thank you for this explanation. I would suggest to Ubuntu /
Canonical (whatever they are from..),  to make this note there, may in a
small pop-up icon near the download so that users are no more confused.
However, this could be an exaggeration of things, and may be its not
suitable (that's why they didn't mention it there), but even if they
mention, there is no loss of generality. However, this was just a
suggestion.

Thx.

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"