ubuntu 11.10 freezes

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 30 08:40:59 UTC 2011

On 30 October 2011 06:32, Jon Anderson <jbander at izoom.net> wrote:
>  Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help it
> from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on trying
> that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux mint is a
> program to try

Ubuntu should not freeze, if you are getting it regularly then there
is something wrong with your system.  If you can provide some more
information then someone may be able to help.  Let us know the version
of ubuntu you are using and some information about your hardware.  Run
the System Monitor and see what it says on the System page.  Also can
you give more details of the freeze.  What exactly happens?  Is it
when you are doing something in particular?

Have you tried running memtest from the boot menu, preferably for
several hours, to see if it reports any problems.  Also have a look at
the disk status in Disk Utilities to see if it suggests any problems.

It is most unlikely that changing to a Lubuntu or Mint would help as
they are both based on the same underlying software.  In fact Lubuntu
is identical to Ubuntu except for the window manager.

Colin