"green" hard disk and ubuntu?

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Fri Oct 28 13:06:40 UTC 2011

>On Behalf Of Olivier Pavilla
>
>I must change my hardisk in my ubuntu server.
>So, at my job my colleague told me that "green"hard disk has no long
>life on ubuntu server because of power management or something like this.
>Does anyone knows if it's true? What kind of SATA hard disk should I buy?

There are several green drives out there, and I use many of them in Ubuntu
servers where they run 24/7.

They operate at 5400 rpm or 5900 rpm, which saves power and produces less
heat. And they are more than fast enough to feed data to a Gigabit Ethernet
network.

Their spin speed isn't controlled by the operating system or power
management. Also, they last as long as any hard drive will. So your
colleague is incorrect.

Samsung and Seagate and Western Digital all make these kinds of drives.
However, I hear that Western Digital Green drives have a tendency to turn
themselves off to save power, and so are not a good drive to use in a RAID
array. But I'm sure they are good drives otherwise...