CPU temperature and new kernel

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at fastmail.us
Thu Oct 27 23:35:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 00:03 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> I find that with 3.0.0-12-generic my cpu temperatures are noticeably higher
> (5-10 degrees) than with 2.6.38-10.
>
> Anyone else notice this?

Temps with that kernel are pretty much the same, ~ 39 - 40 C.  AMD
Phenom X6 1075 cpu.  AMD cool & quiet is turned on in BIOS, so it scales
back nicely when not being flogged.

I think I do notice more cpu activity, but can't quantify.

Phoronix has been going on for a while about power regressions in the
3.0 series kernels: e.g.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1

We don't have any Intel machines running the newer kernels yet.

--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 1 day, 1:48, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05