11.10 Evolution locks spoolfile

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 27 17:43:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:30:57 -0400, Rashkae wrote:

> On 10/27/2011 10:21 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>>
>> The mailserver can deliver email to other accounts without a problem.
>> These accounts are IMAP accounts read from other computers, but in my
>> case the server is also my desktop. I used to have Evolution open al
>> the time so I could read mail quickly without having to wait for the
>> sometimes long start-up for Evolution, but that is impossible now.
>>
>> BTW, email is delivered from the mailserver to the spool file by a
>> procmail pipe. This pipe times out because the spool file is locked.
>>

> This won't solve the underlaying problem (evolution keeping the file
> locked all the time.), but is a quick work around for you while looking
> for a permanent solution.
>
> Create an Imap account for yourself and configure your evolution to open
> emails from that account, and remove the local mail spool from your
> evolution accounts.

I have been thinking along those lines, but I will wait a bit to see if
someone comes up with a permanent solution. The important emails are
already copied to a second account I can read with my laptop, and the
"very important" emails are also copied to my gmail account I can read
with my phone (that is the reason I use procmail for the delivery, gives
a lot of fine-tuning possibilities.

Aart