11.10 Evolution locks spoolfile

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 27 14:21:04 UTC 2011

Hello,

since I upgraded to 11.10 my mailserver cannot deliver mail to the spool
file whenever Evolution is open. The mailserver is exim4, in its logfile
I get the message:

"Spool file is locked (another process is handling this message)"

and after that: "Message is frozen"

Some of the email delivered during this time I can get in the spool file
after closing Evolution and a "sudo sendmail -qff", others seem to get
lost.

The mailserver can deliver email to other accounts without a problem.
These accounts are IMAP accounts read from other computers, but in my
case the server is also my desktop. I used to have Evolution open al the
time so I could read mail quickly without having to wait for the
sometimes long start-up for Evolution, but that is impossible now.

BTW, email is delivered from the mailserver to the spool file by a
procmail pipe. This pipe times out because the spool file is locked.

I hope somebody knows a solution for this problem.

Aart