LibreOffice Writer: crash problem and workaround.

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:47:13 UTC 2011

Hello Everybody

A few minutes ago, I submitted bug report nr. 882535. Here, I provide you with
a brief summary.

Often, LibreOffice Writer crashes in the middle of an intense working session,
after which the system restarts.I cannot exactly reconstruct why and in which
circumstances this problem occurs. However, I do have a fairly effective
"workaround", which I explain below.

In about 9 out of 10 cases, I manage to recover a "read-only" document, after
which I save it under another name: with a view to continuing the working
session. I manage to do so in many cases, under the condition that I have
taken two preventive measures before the crash:
* saving the document constantly, via control-s;
* making a backup copy of the document each five minutes.
However, in let's say the 10th case, I do not manage to recover the document
anyway. In such a case, I fall back to the latest backup to continue the
working session.

More detail info is available here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/882535

Have a good (working) day!