dpkg errors when configuring quotas

Jacob Mansfield cyberjacob at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:14:17 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Over the last few days I have been attempting to set up user quotas on a
server used for backing up data. after enabling usrquota in /etc/fstab, I
went to install the quota and quotatool packages via apt-get, however I
was greeted with nice error message from dpkg while configuring quota:

Setting up quota (4.00~pre1-6) ...
Checking quotas...quotacheck: Cannot guess format from filename on
/dev/xvdb1. Please specify format on commandline.
done.
Turning on quotas...quotaon: cannot find /backups/quota.group on /dev/xvdb1
[/backups]
quotaon: cannot find /backups/quota.user on /dev/xvdb1 [/backups]
invoke-rc.d: initscript quota, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing quota (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
configured to not write apport reports
 quota
root at backups:~#

anybody know what I might have done wrong?
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer
CyberKing Solutions™
--
Air conditioned environment - do not open windows!