Please stop complaining about Unity and install Gnome Shell

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Oct 27 09:38:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, October 27, 2011 04:06, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 06:48 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>> I wanted to contribute something constructive to the list.
>>
>> 1. open a console
>> 2. sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
>> 3. log out
>> 4. choose Gnome
>> 5. log in
>> 6. be happy
>> 7. send a reply to the list to thank me for my awesome advice
>> 8. ???
>> 9. profit!
>>

> So Amedee... tell us how you manage your icons & applications on those
> panels as you did in 10.10 or 11.04. How about some added "awesome
> advise" regarding that?

Who said that I ever used icons & applications on panels in older Ubuntu
versions, or that I liked them if I was forced to use them? Really, I
never liked Gnome 2.

> Simply having top & bottom panels doesn't do much if you can't do
> anything (or very little) with them.

I don't like panels. I want screen estate. I like it how I can simply move
the mouse to the top lef corner of the screen and get an instant overview
of all my windows. I don't know if you can do that with Unity.

Am I abnormal because I *really* like Gnome Shell? There are some minor
details that I dislike, but that's probably because I'm not used to it
yet.

Please take a look at the Gnome Shell Cheat Sheet. Please.
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet