Please stop complaining about Unity and install Gnome Shell

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:02:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:38:00 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:

> On 10/26/2011 06:45 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

>>> OK, you have my attention and probable a lot of others that are
>>> uncomfortable with Unity right out of the box.  Is there a how-to
>>> somewhere that would give some guidance on accomplishing what you did?
>>
>> I believe I've already posted this 2 or 3 times, at least, but:
>>
>> http://blog.poggs.com/2011/10/ubuntu-11-10-for-productive-people/
>>
>> However, note, this is configuring GNOME 3's Fallback Mode and the
>> expectation is that this will be removed from GNOME 3 before very long.
>> It is a /lot/ less customisable than GNOME 2 was, anyway.
>>
>> Honestly, I think you're better off with Xubuntu and Xfce.
>>

> Was that a picture of a gnome fallback installation?  Maybe I jumped to
> the wrong conclusion but I thought it was a tweaked and customized
> Unity.  I tried the gnome fallback mode and couldn't get it to work very
> well.  Even if that is the fallback mode it looks like sktsee was able
> to do more with it than I was.

Yes, it's the fallback mode, but the fallback isn't base on gtk2/gnome2
tech, but new gtk3/gnome3. The next version of Ubuntu, Precise
Pangosomething is slated to be a 5 year LTS and it includes gnome-
fallback-session. Fallback isn't going anywhere soon.

Anyway, here's a quick rundown of how I got my desktop configured.

The first two steps affect Unity, which is what I started off looking how
to configure. I applied these changes before configuring gnome, so I
don't know if they would have been an issue or not. If you like the
overlay-scrollbar and global appmenu in Unity, skip these steps.

1. Remove overlay-scrollbars package
sudo apt-get purge overlay-scrollbars

2. Turn off global appmenus
sudo sh -c 'echo "export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0" > /etc/X11/
Xsession.d/81ubuntumenuproxy'

3. Install gnome-shell, gnome-tweak, dconf-tools, gconf-editor
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-tweak dconf-tools gconf-editor

Logout of your session and then log back in selecting Gnome Classic (I
chose the "No Effects" version) from the session chooser.

Upon login you should have the familiar gnome-panel on the top and bottom
of the screen. From there you configure the panels pretty much like you
did in Gnome2. The thing you have to remember with this version of gnome-
panel is to hold the ALT key down while right-clicking on a panel area to
add/remove/move applets and configure preferences for the panel itself.

The applets I added were
show desktop
force-kill application
trash
notification area

Another thing that's different the absence of the System menu on the
menubar (Applications Places). These items are now found in the "Other"
menu category under Applications. Like before, you can right-click the
menubar and choose to edit the menus to your preference.

The remaining items like home and computer icons on the desktop, metacity
window decorator button layout, etc. can be set with the configuration
tools. Start with gnome-tweak (Advanced Settings in the Other menu) then
gconf-editor, and then dconf-editor. Most gnome core stuff will have
their settings in dconf, but there will still be some things that have
not transitioned yet from gconf, so if you don't find one setting under
there, then look to dconf.

--
sktsee