Please stop complaining about Unity and install Gnome Shell

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:10:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 11:57 AM, R Kimber wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:41:09 -0600
>> Wes James wrote:
>>
>>> I tried that and in the menus, the text has white squares in random
>>> letter positions.  Some letters show, others have a white box.
>>>
>>> I logged back out and tried kde plasma and that looks fine.  Any ideas
>>> about Gnome?
>>
>> Xubuntu works fine too. Unless you specifically want Gnome3 I'd go for
>> Xubuntu. It's quite like what Ubuntu used to be.
>>
>> - Richard.
>
> +1 for Xubuntu.  I've been running it in VBox for a couple of days and so
> far it seems to be the closest thing to Gnome2 in 10.04 I've found. A first
> the xfce desktop seems a little stark but I've made some changes and am
> feeling more comfortable with it all the time.
>
> A couple of differences you will notice right away.  There is no
> Applications - Places - System menus in the top left corner and some of the
> functions you would expect to see on the top panel are on the bottom one and
> the reverse is also true.  I don't know if this can be changed but even if
> it can't the amount of adjustment going from gnome2 to xfce is less than
> going from gnome2 to unity.
>
> Regards,  Jim

I replaced that by removing one panel and then putting the remaining
one on the bottom of screen and adding the xfce-menu from Add New
Items... i never liked the three as places i rarely use - just my
twopence worth on minimalisation. Very similar to ubuntu 7.* and 8.*
before they started putting fancy stuff in.

james