Please stop complaining about Unity and install Gnome Shell

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 19:56:14 UTC 2011

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 11:57 AM, R Kimber wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:41:09 -0600
>> Wes James wrote:
>>
>>> I tried that and in the menus, the text has white squares in random
>>> letter positions.  Some letters show, others have a white box.
>>>
>>> I logged back out and tried kde plasma and that looks fine.  Any ideas
>>> about Gnome?
>>
>> Xubuntu works fine too. Unless you specifically want Gnome3 I'd go for
>> Xubuntu. It's quite like what Ubuntu used to be.
>>
>> - Richard.
>
> +1 for Xubuntu.  I've been running it in VBox for a couple of days and
> so far it seems to be the closest thing to Gnome2 in 10.04 I've found. A
> first the xfce desktop seems a little stark but I've made some changes
> and am feeling more comfortable with it all the time.
>
> A couple of differences you will notice right away.  There is no
> Applications - Places - System menus in the top left corner and some of
> the functions you would expect to see on the top panel are on the bottom
> one and the reverse is also true.  I don't know if this can be changed
> but even if it can't the amount of adjustment going from gnome2 to xfce
> is less than going from gnome2 to unity.
>
> Regards,  Jim

	Me, I tried Xubuntu/XFCE by way of adding it on top of Ubuntu here.
Worked pretty good, but just didn't jive with me. Pulled that out.
	Right now, I've added the Lubuntu packages in, and using that. So far
so good. Just need to figure out how to get xcompmgr starting
automatically for Docky; and getting the [PrintScreen] and
[Alt][PrintScreen] keys to function like they did in Ubuntu...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

  - from some guy in the internet.