Recovering broken system

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:32:36 UTC 2011

I have a Natty system in which I'm upgrading some disks.  In the process
the system became unbootable (even with the original disks that I put back
in).  I don't know how.
I have been unable to install grub from a live disk, or at least to do it
so that it worked.  Mostly it just silently pouted at me.\

So I used a Natty live disk to install a working system, from which I hope
to do better with grub.  At least it boots reliably; I'm going to sleep
before I try this.

The problem: I configured my two ethernet interfaces, and they seem to be
up, but they don't work.  I think it's that the kernel routing table has no
gateways configured, since
my attempts to configure routes in  System->Preferences->Network
Connections do not appear in the results of "route -n".  I'm probably doing
something really stupid,
or not doing some simple but required thing, but someone will have to tell
me what it is.

Help?
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD