Empty directory not getting deleted in external harddisk

Linux Tyro ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:31:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza at gmail.com>wrote:

/ It is important to unmount the device before attempting any of the
> operations below, except in the case of the windows option /
> Unfortunately, this will not work in this case as the filesystem type is
> NTFS (Windows) and not EXT2/3/4 (Linux).

My system is not EXT 2/3/4?? But I have linux installed? What does it mean,
please a little elaborate (or link me to the page of description of basic
meaning).

> You can either run ntfsfix -n /dev/sdb1 to check and see if it detects
> errors (if you want to attempt to try and fix the errors simply drop the -n
> switch. *According to the man pages there are known problems with ntfsfix,
> so please make a backup of your data before hand*) or you can use the disk
> utility in ubuntu to check for errors (I think it might use the same command
> above, but i'm not sure) otherwise your best bet would be to plug it in a
> Windows machine and do error-checking from the properties dialog of the
> drive.
>
> Is there any particular reason why you using an NTFS partition instead of
> an EXT3/4 partition? Perhaps you could split the drive into two and make the
> partition FAT32 instead for compatibility between the various operating
> systems. Just a suggestion :)

I respect ur suggestion. However, I don't know why it is NTFS partition and
not EXT3/4. I am a windows migrant (still have Windows but I don't use it).
You are talking of my linux system which is NTFS? Would it be better to go
for EXT 3/4, if yes how? I just chose the default options (during
installation of Ubuntu LTS 10.04) and it didn't ask me for any NTFS/ext 3/4

Thx.

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"