After six months, I'm finally sick of the Unity Toolbar

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:08:13 UTC 2011

On 25 October 2011 19:45, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 October 2011 10:23, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My advice is not using low level stuff to configure Ubuntu, and only
>>> use the provided otpions, as the chances to mess seriously your
>>> installation increase a lot.
>>
>> Do you mean we should *not* use ubuntu-tweak and ccsm or do you
>> include those in "provided options"?
>

> Yes, I think it is better not using these programs too, but use only
> the default provided options.

Unfortunately then there are very few options to choose

> Yesterday, I did a clean reinstall, because CCSM messed my desktop,
> and unity --reset did not help.
>

> And it messed my installation without me making any change, I was just
> looking the available options, and suddenly I was logged out. When I
> relogged in, the user interface was empty, with only the Unity menu
> available (that menu above with File, etc options, that appears when
> there is no active window).

Possibly the Ubuntu Unity Plugin had been disabled in ccsm.  In which
case the solution is to open a terminal (ctrl-alt-t) and run ccsm then
enable the plugin (in Desktop) if it is disabled.
See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/881639 (unity
--reset fails if Ubuntu Unity Plugin disabled in ccsm)
and possibly
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/777024 (Panel and Launcher are
lost if 'Set Default Settings' is pressed in ccsm)
though it sounds as if you lost the plugin (if that was the cause)
when ccsm crashed.

Colin