Empty directory not getting deleted in external harddisk

Linux Tyro ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:31:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

Are you looking at the directories/files created in the /media directory?
>  If so, you don't want to be deleting those.  They are auto created when a
> removable drive is plugged in so the Operating system has somewhere to mount
> the disk.  Those directories are required to allow the system to access the
> disks, and are added/removed automatically by the Ubuntu system.
>
> If this is not what you mean, then we'll need more information.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza at gmail.com>wrote:

Hi,

> What is the location/full path of these files? Have you tried unmounting
> the device and running fsck against it if it is an ext2/3/4 filesystem?

This is how the directories are getting created:

i) 43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e       ->           ii) databases
    ->              iii) d74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53f
db
    (it is directory)                               (it is also a
directory)                             (it is a file, I don't know which
format it is)

In the above the last two ('databases' and
'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb') I am able to delete (but each time
whenever I plug the hard disk) but the first one
('43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e'), a directory doesn't get deleted even after
emptying it (that is, even after deleting the other two).

i) '43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e' is the directory inside the usb hard-disk.
ii) 'databases' is the directory inside the directory no. i)
iii) 'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53f' is the file inside the directory no.
ii)

I am able to delete ii) and iii) but i) is not getting deleted. Its not on
/media (I checked with the command 'ls /media') but inside the usb
hard-disk.

I have several times unmounted the device (from the right click menu) and
several times inserted again but again the files get created [ii) and iii)]
however i) remains there.

Thx.

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"