Unity Launcher and app startup positions

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:28:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:17:09 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> The one thing that I *do* find annoying about Ubuntu with Unity is the
> way that many apps do not re-open in the same position as they were last
> used, so that they insist on opening up under the launcher. Thunderbird
> always seems to start up centred for example.  Tomboy Notes is
> particularly annoying as every note is opened against the left edge of
> the screen.  If anyone knows how to fix this I would be grateful.
>
> I know I can set the launcher so it does not hide, but some apps I run
> in full screen and then I *do * want it to hide.
>
> Colin

The first issue about window placement is not Unity related but is a
compiz plugin (Place Windows) setting. If you have CompizConfig Setting
Manager (ccsm)_ installed, you can change the placement mode in the Place
Windows plugin under the Windows Management section. You can also force
placement of application windows with that plugin as well.

The second issue can be changed also with ccsm. In the Unity plugin under
the Desktop section, change the Hide Launcher setting to Dodge Active
Windows. That way, the launch bar won't hide until you either maximize an
application or drag a an active window over its location.

--
sktsee