live cd has restricted drivers but the full install does not have

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 03:43:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Pritam Baral <pritam at pritambaral.co.cc> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 17:41, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want to know any Ubuntu distribution take 9.04 I have used the Live
>> CD of all of these has the properietary Broadcom STA driver.
>> If you are using a Live CD then you will be able to use the internet/wifi.
>> This is confirmed by a green color dialog that appears on top right
>> hand corner of screen which says additional drivers available for this
>> system.
>> You click on it the application pretends as if it is downloading some
>> thing (which it does not)
>> and you get the wifi working from the live cd
>>  but the moment one installs Ubuntu from this live CD to hard disk I
>> necessarily need to connect a lan wire and then install the wireless
>> firmware or driver.
>> I want to know why is this required? Why can't the driver of live CD
>> be installed during the install process on the hard disc itself?
>
> You can use the CD in the sources, the packages in the CD will be used to
> install on the hard disc installation. Also, I think that during the
> installation, there's a check box that lets you install additional
> proprietary packages, including wireless drivers. As shown here.
>

>> --
Well thanks but I could not confirm what you said.How ever I found a
work around in the live cd there is a folde name pool in it the
restricted drivers are where my driver was located  and it needed dkms
(dynamic kernel module support)  package that is how I was able to get
things working.
Thanks for your attempt though.