ubuntu 11-10

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Oct 23 20:50:18 UTC 2011

On 10/23/2011 09:20 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>  wrote:
>> I finally installed ubuntu 11-10 as a virtual guest (under Vmware) but,
>> contrary to a loat of moaning and screeming about Unity I was pleasantly
>> surprised by the user interface as I thought it was much worse!.
>> Installation went like a breeze and even network was no problem (wired).
>> Even adjusting time and date was easy and simple and I could even enter my
>> personal location (Almere, a small town below sea-level).
>> OK, the window handles are on the wrong =Apple) side but I assume I can
>> change that with Ubuntu Tweak.
>> I have but one -small- problem. The real estate taken by the menu-list (on
>> the left side of the screen is awfully big. I would like to reduce it to 25
>> % (or 30%) and position it on the upper side of the screen. However, I don't
>> know how 'flexible' the interface is.
>> I hope somebody has answers and als if there are other means that Ubuntu
>> Tweak to chage the window buttons location.
>> Joep
>
> Keep in mind that currently, you do not see the normal Unity, but
> Unity 2D in VMware (it falls back to Unity 2D without informing you).

Colin, Ioannis,
Thanks for the reply.
Colin, I want to see how different the new UI is 'under the hood",
Ioannis, Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Is it possible to try
the 3-D look under VMware?
I had another peculiar experience. When I had 11-10 installed, it didn't
start in graphic mode but in a console.
I actually had to start X (using startx) to come to the GUI. Is that
normal behaviour??
I find it very horrific for newbies, especially if they come from Windows.
Joep