copied wubi root.disk to another drive what changes should I do in grub

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:23:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 08:34:06AM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> I installed Ubuntu 11.04 by Wubi and then copied the ubuntu folder
>> from C: to D: drive what changes should I make in grub and where as
>> the grub folder was empty.
>
> Inside the Wubi image.
>
> You need to boot your Ubuntu and then reinstall Grub, I think.
>
> To boot, get a USB key (or a CD) with GRUB, and do the following in the
> GRUB console (I'm assuming D: is /dev/sda2, i.e. the second partition of
> your first hard disk):
>
>  insmod ntfs
>  set root=(hd0,2)   <--- if you boot from CD
>  set root=(hd1,2)   <--- if you boot from USB
>  loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
>  linux /boot/vmlinuz-.... root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
>  initrd /boot/initrd.img-....
>  boot
>
> You'll need to do some looking around or tab-completion to get the exact
> filenames of your kernel/initrd images (and make sure the versions
> match!).
>
> If your D: is on a separate hard disk, replace /dev/sda2 with /dev/sdb1
> and (hd0,2) with (hd1,1), as appropriate.
>
> Once you've booted, you'll need to edit the GRUB configuration files, tell them
> your root.disk is now not on (hd0,1) but somewhere else -- you should
> have already figured out where -- then regenerate grub.conf with
> update-grub.  I'm not sure that will be enough; I don't recall how
> precisely is grub loaded from NTLDR and how it is able to find its
> grub.cfg.  You may need to regenerate the block map (assuming grub even
> has one), or something like that.
>
> Marius Gedminas
> --
> Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for that
> rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge.
>                -- Erwin Knoll

Ok I did some hit and trial and then bootinfo script gave following
http://paste.ubuntu.com/716700/
Above is result of bootinfo script.

I had copied my ubuntu folder from /dev/sda2 to /dev/sda5 so I made
corresponding change in grub.cfg

replaced uuid

     E4ACAFF5ACAFC082
by
8E9E86339E86143D
but still upon reboot I got the following error

file:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
Selected entry could not be located because the application is missing
or corrupt

I digged further and found
and bcdedit command shows

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Real-mode Boot Sector
identifier              {913c60b1-d90e-11e0-9e01-869473ab8036}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
description             Ubuntu

Above  is wrong as when I copied every thing from C: to D: so here
also the entries should change.
What possibly more do I need to do now? Apart from changing grub.cfg?