Unity Argghhh!!!

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 03:51:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:

> [...]

My opinion: Unity in Ubuntu 11.10 is working. I think Canonical goes
towards a touch-oriented UI, that also works with a mouse; the same
thing that Microsoft wants to do with the upcoming Windows 8.

Trying to be open minded, I installed Ubuntu 11.10, configured it, and
I am using it. I consider it as an experimental experience, and it is
working OK so far.

Now if one doesn't like Unity, he/she has other options. He may
install gnome-shell metapackage, and give a try to both GNOME 3.2
Shell, or the GNOME 3.2 Classic UI.

GNOME 3.2 Classic UI is also available alone, by installing the
gnome-panel metapackage.

If you do not like any of these, I suggest install xfce metapackage on
top of Ubuntu 11.10, so as to get XFCE with the apps available in
Ubuntu.

An alternative is to install Xubuntu 11.10 stand alone.

There is also Kubuntu.

In other words, I think there are many other options before going back
to Debian.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net