Network Printer Problem

Joe Bissett jbissett at hot-peppers.com
Sat Oct 22 12:14:41 UTC 2011

I have been trying to add my Ubuntu machine to my MSHOME network, and
finally after installing 11.10, my machine magically appeared on the
network.  Networking works well, except for my shared Brother HL-1440
laser printer.

The printer is connected directly to a W98 machine (name=joe), and I am
able to print without problems from it, or the XP machine.  The Ubuntu
machine does not yet see the printer.

I go to the printer set up screen, select "Network Printer", and try
"Find Network Printer".  I have been unsuccessful entering MSHOME or the
digital IP address of the router or the W98 machine to which the printer
is attached.

I then go to "Windows Printer via SAMBA" and enter mshome/joe/brother
and click "Browse"

The small "SMB Browser" screen appears, and after searching, if displays
"joe", indicating it has found the connection to the W98 machine.  The
"OK" button remains greyed out.  Clicking "Refresh" does not produce a
different result.

I am a total ubuntu command line novice, and like the way 11.10 seems to
have made ubuntu more friendly to newbies like me.  I'm "guessing" that
I am missing something simple in this intuitive set up dialog.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance, Joe