Issue 112: Re: 11.04 on a ten year old Dell laptop? (Ioannis Vranos)

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Fri Oct 21 19:20:55 UTC 2011

>I have run the memtest... Pentium III, 997Mhz, 512MB.
>
>100 errors at location: 503.0MB  always the same byte in the listing, 2nd from right end.

You have memory errors. Your computer's ram is bad. It will cause crashes and corrupt your data and other serious problems.

If you have more than one stick (dimm) of memory, remove them and test them one at a time. You should find the bad one.

If you have only one stick of ram, you need to buy another and recycle that one.

Might be a good time to think about a faster system.