Lost Unity

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 18:46:31 UTC 2011

I have 11.10 installed in VirtualBox (on 10.04) and it had been working
well.  Today I installed the Compiz settings manager.  I then started
going through all the settings just to see what was available.  The only
thing I knowingly changed was the width of the launcher. I set the
slider to its minimum.

At some time while I was paging through the various settings the
launcher disappeared. I just thought that it was hidden, but after
closing the setting manage I could not get it to reappear.  In fact my
desktop is displaying nothing except its background and and a grey menu
bar at the top with File Edit View Go Bookmarks Help on it. The menu
items work and right-clicking on the desktop shows up the normal popup.
If I start typing a text box opens in the lower right hand corner but
hitting enter just closes the window.  The esc and windows keys do nothing.

Any idea on how to get a working desktop back, short of reinstalling?

Thanks,  Jim