Alternate installation CD

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:37:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:07:24AM +0200, Bruce Pieterse wrote:
>> On Oct 21, 2011 3:40 AM, "Ioannis Vranos" <ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I installed Ubuntu 11.10 x86 via the alternate installation CD, and I
>> > think it has major issues.
>> >
>> > For example, if you do not configure a network during installation, it
>> > creates a domain (null) that causes problems afterwards.
>>
>> That is strange, it should be localhost for 127.0.0.1 and your machine name
>> would be for 127.0.1.1. You can manually edit /etc/hosts to fix it. Then run
>> sudo hostname <your hostname> which corresponds to the 127.0.1.1 line in
>> /etc/hosts.
>>
>> Perhaps you should file a bug against ubuquity to get this fixed.
>
> This is definitely a bug which I would like to fix, but please file it
> against netcfg, not against ubiquity (the alternate installation CD
> doesn't use ubiquity).  I would like copies of /var/log/installer/syslog
> and /var/log/installer/cdebconf/questions.dat attached to that bug.

I edited /etc/hosts and fixed it. I will file the bug.

Second most obvious bug, is that when I selected the option that is
something like "Use entire hard disk and set up an encrypted LVM", it
only created the /boot partition and then the installation failed. I
tried it more than once, including having the hard disk with a new
empty partition table before installation.

Note: I am talking about Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit Alternate CD.

I had never such issues with the Alternate CDs of Ubuntu 9.10, 10.10,
11.04, on the same machine.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net