11.04 on a ten year old Dell laptop?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:23:13 UTC 2011

On 20 October 2011 20:08, Jimt <jptran at vtidea.net> wrote:

> I had gotten ubuntu 11.04 up and running.   It is running the older GNOME windowing system.  About 2 weeks ago, following an update/reboot ... The reboot hung on "checking battery status".  I am competent with programming and software design, but very new to Linux/Ubuntu.  This 'hanging' on one issue or another plagued my installing process.
>
> If you have seen/have a workaround .....please pass it along. Thanks.
> Jimt
> ps- I also have a bootable CD of the 10.10 --- it apparently runs OK.
> thanks in advance

It should work OK, but unless the machine was /very/
high-specification for its time, it will be rather slow. You might
have a better experience with Lubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

I would also suggest seeing if you can update your laptop's BIOS
before trying again. This might well require you to boot into DOS,
anyway.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com