update manager no longer asking for password in 11.10

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:17:26 UTC 2011

On 20 October 2011 17:16, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 20 October 2011 17:06, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Only if doing so would answer the question of why, which it would not.
>>

> The question could be posed there, or the developer could be
> discovered (Martin Pitt) and could be asked, which might be more
> useful than asking here where the developer isn't subscribed.
>
> I don't know why, I'm trying to point people to the best place to
> figure out why, whilst trying to understand what the actual problem
> is.

Logically you may very well be correct in that there is not really a
problem.  There is the issue of consistency however.  I think that
update manager effectively does apt-get update and apt-get upgrade
without authentication, but if we do the same from the command line
then we do have to authenticate.  It just does not seem right,
whatever the logic says.

Colin