How can I find motherboards model number in 11.04

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Oct 17 07:29:06 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 10:43 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> How can  I find model number or other related things about the mother
> board on my laptop.
> I run only Ubuntu so unable to use CPU-Z which works in Windows.
> So what are my options in Natty?

Once there was an Ubuntu program that produced a file called
myhardware.txt.  I don't remember what it was called--
I remember running it from a live CD on a couple of machines, including
my Windows machine, and it spits out
everything.  I suggest using your find command in Dolphin, or maybe on
the cli, and look for *hardware* (with the
asterisks).  I'm not sure if the program has that name, or if another
program writes the resulting file to the drive.
I have Ubuntu on a partition here, but I'm running pclos.  Going to that
partition and doing sudo cat /(path)/myhardware.txt
and I got the file.  I just don't know if it started fresh, or if it had
stored the file from running the program way back when.
The ouput starts like this:

[doug at Dell ~]$ sudo cat /media/disk-5/home/doug/myhardware.txt
doug-laptop
     product: MM061
     vendor: Dell Inc.
     serial: 8488KB1
     width: 32 bits
     capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4
     configuration: boot=normal chassis=portable
uuid=44454C4C-3400-1038-8038-B8C04F4B4231
   *-core
        product: 0KD882
        vendor: Dell Inc.
        physical id: 0
        serial: .8488KB1.CN486436788817.
      *-firmware
           vendor: Dell Inc.
           physical id: 0
           version: A06 (06/09/2006)
           size: 64KiB
           capacity: 512KiB
           capabilities: isa pci pcmcia pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot
bootselect int13floppy720 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial
int17printer int10video acpi usb agp smartbattery biosbootspecification
netboot
      *-cpu
           product: Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T1350  @ 1.86GHz
           vendor: Intel Corp.
           physical id: 400
           bus info: cpu at 0
           version: 6.14.8
           serial: 0000-06E8-0000-0000-0000-0000
           slot: Microprocessor
           size: 1867MHz
           capacity: 1867MHz
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 133MHz
           capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe
nx constant_tsc up arch_perfmon bts aperfmperf pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
pdcm cpufreq

and goes on from there

Unfortunately, it does not seem to read things that are hooked to a usb
port, or I could test it, since I'm running an
external keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, now that you know that Ubuntu has this capability, you should be
able to find the necessary file and run it.

Let us know what you wound up doing.

--doug