backup system before upgrade

Default User hunguponcontent at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:17:50 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 16:11
Subject: Re: backup system before upgrade
To: jlblom at neuroweave.nl

Thanks to all who replied.

>From live cd, backed up doing:
sudo rsync -avv /source/directory/ /destination/directory
and then tried upgrade from within live cd.

As usual, Ubuntu upgrade failed.  Was using Gnome Classic desktop,
apparently upgrade function unable to handle (forced) conversion to Unity.

So did: rm -rf /source partition
then:
sudo rsync -avv /destination/directory/ /source/directory

Tried reboot.  Failed, with "missing file" error message at "grub rescue>"
prompt.
So, tried resetting and formatting main partition from within live cd, and
again:
sudo rsync -avv /destination/directory/ /source/directory

This time, failed with "incompatible license" error message at "grub
rescue>" prompt.

What ??? . . .

Ended up having to do fresh install from live cd, re-install applications
from Synaptic and the Ubuntu Software Center, then salvaging application
data from the backup.

Can't really construct a good system, though, because:
1) Gnome desktop no longer available.
2) Unity is too immature.
3) Ubuntu 11.10 (especially Unity) is  too shockingly dumbed down, suitable
for little more than to turn a computer into a huge, not-so-smart phone.

Maybe I will go back to Debian"Testing" . . .