grub, nvidia

Barry txscope at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 16 15:09:39 UTC 2011

I have an old laptop that I don't use every day. When I started it up
today, there were a slew of package upgrades, including a new kernel and
grub.

I've got 10.04.3, and was running kernel 2.6.32-33; the upgrade was to
2.6.32-34.

The upgrade failed on cups, dbus and grub. And I cannot boot into the
new kernel, but I can boot into the previous kernel.

The apt error was about a conflict with the nvidia packages. I've got
the nvidia-agp module loaded.

There's no initrd line in the grub menu list, and there no initrd in
/boot.