Two graphics cards and three monitors - how to?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:24:03 UTC 2011

2011/10/16 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
> Has anyone any suggestions on this problem?
>
> Colin
>
> On 14 October 2011 21:17, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to convert my son to ubuntu and is now trying it
>> (Oneiric).  Unfortunately he "needs" three monitors.  He has an
>> onboard ATI Radeon HD3300 graphics controller with a monitor on it and
>> an NVidia Gforce GTS250 with another monitor and a TV.  With the
>> onboard controller enabled in bios then only that monitor works.  If
>> he disables that one then he is able to use the nvidia controller with
>> the other monitor and the tv
>>
>> I have googled for how to get all three going and while there are a
>> number of hits that look hopeful they are mostly rather old so I don't
>> know how relevant they are now.  Can anyone point me in the right
>> direction?  I fear a dose of xorg.conf is approaching, which is an
>> area in which I have very little experience.
>>
>> Colin

Sorry for not having a working solution, but did you install the
NVidia proprietary drivers? I don't know if there are any proprietary
drivers for the ATI card as well to install.

A bit off topic:
The need for many monitors is usually somewhat less with most
GNU/Linux-distributions than with Windows, if you get used to take
advantage of the multiple desktops. There are a few Compiz-Fusion
features to enable to make the experience even better.
But nevertheless, I agree that three or more monitors still is very
nice to have…