2 problems with 11.10 - advice?

chris chevhq at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 18:51:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 11:21 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed 11.10 on two computers, dual-booting with Windows.
> On both 11.10 installs there is no gnome, as per spec. Both computers
> have no Linux connection to the internet, windows side works fine.

<snip>
> --
> "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
>    Krishnamurti

do the following. It works in all ubuntus up to 10.04
failing this, move to debian stable
Regards da kiwi
to install dialup on Ubuntu systems after 7.10

As the Ubuntu Developers saw fit to remove wvdial from the distribution,
this has now become a major headache for those of us who do not have
broadband.

My solution to this issue is as follows.

Beg from a friend or neighbour some internet time.
Download the following packages

libxplc0.3.13>  (the greater than sign means version or later)
libwvstreams.4.4-base >
libwvstreams.4.4-base-extras >
libuniconf.4.4 >
libwvdial_1.60 >
optional gnome ppp  (dsoes not work with most configurations nowdays
with out a lot of tweaking)

Then, System>administratoin>Users and Groups: Unlock:  highlight your
Username and select properties > user Privileges.
Tick use modems
Tick the conect to internet via modem box

then click on manage Groups
Look for the group name dip Highlight and then click on properties
Add your username to this group
Add your username to dialout group

If you cannot see these groups, which is possible
then open a termional by Applications>Acessories>terminal, and type the
following commands
sudo adduser (username) dip
sudo adduser (username) dialout

Then do the following
gksudo gedit /etc/ppp/options
at the first blank line in this file
press enter then type the following

replacedefaultroute

ensure there is no space at the begining of the line.

Save and close the file

you now need to edit the wvdial config file

My wvdial.config is shown below as a template
gksudo gedit /etc/wvdial.config
if your modem is on com 1, then in linux terms it is dev/ttyS0
com 2 is /devttys1 and so on

Template begins

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
New PPPD = yes
PPPD Path = /usr/sbin/pppd
Password = #(enter you ISP password, not you ubuntu password)
Phone =
Modem = /dev/ttyS0  #(modem device number)
Username = #(ISP Username)
Init1 = ATZ
Baud = 115200
Stupid Mode = yes
Auto DNS = yes

template ends

then from a terminal type sudo wvdial, and you should now be on line

Ctrl c will terminate the connection.

I have found with some systems that gome ppp will work after this
configuration has been made

Good luck
Ubuntu is a great operating system, and it is a shame the developers did
not seem to realise how important dial up is to the bulk of the worlds
users

Then save and exit