odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 14 07:54:20 UTC 2011

On 13 October 2011 19:38, andy baxter <andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been getting an odd network error when trying to work on a remote
> computer over ssh. What happens is:
>
> - I log in to the remote machine using ssh.
> - Then su to the root user.
> - Then start midnight commander. (mc)
> - Then navigate to the /etc directory using the arrow keys. (By going back
> up the tree then down into /etc)
> - When I press the right arrow key to go into /etc, the terminal window
> shows no response, and shortly afterwards the wireless connection to our
> local router drops.
> - After this has happened, I am unable to reconnect to the router again over
> wireless until I reboot it.

Just to check what you are saying, is it the router that you re-boot
and then you can re-connect?
Is it definitely the wireless that is dropping out - so it shows in
Network Manager
What happens if you reboot the laptop?
Do you have any other wireless devices, if so can they connect to the
router when it is apparently confused?
Is your other pc wired in to the router?  If you go into the router's
setup pages from there does it say anything useful about the wireless?

Colin

> If I change to /etc before starting mc, the problem doesn't occur, even if I
> then return to the root dir and go back into /etc.
>
> This error has happened pretty consistently in the way I describe about 6 or
> 7 times now. It doesn't happen every time I do this, but when it does, the
> error always occurs at the point where I try to go into /etc from the root
> dir. The only significant thing to have changed on the remote machine is
> that I recently upgraded it to run debian squeeze.
>
> I don't really have much idea where to go from here, as what is happening is
> outside what I understand of how the relevant protocols are supposed to
> work. Any suggestions on what might be happening, or things to try to
> diagnose the problem further, would be much appreciated.
>
> andy baxter.

gplus.to/clanlaw