DHCP not setting /etc/resolv.conf

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Oct 12 10:44:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 04:05:59AM -0600, compdoc wrote:
> >The TL-WR743ND is set up to provide DHCP and the settings look right to
> >me. It's working to the extent that it's giviing the client laptop I'm
> >using to test it an IP address of 192.168.13.100 which is the start of
> >the DHCP range in the TL-WR743ND.  The default gateway is 192.168.13.1
> >and the primary DNS is 192.168.1.2 (I have a dnsmasq server for the
> >local LAN running there).
>
> While booting, there might not be a route to 192.168.1.2 - but that's just a
> guess.

But there's never a route to the DNS during boot is there? This one just
looks a little strange because it's in a private IP range.  I'll try
changing it though and see if anything happens.

I've tried changing the DNS to 192.168.13.1  .......

No, no effect, still have an empty /etc/resolv.conf.

When I reboot the same laptop into Windows XP (it has dual boot) then it
gets the DNS correctly from the router.

> Why not set the router to hand out the same ip address for dns as the
> gateway? The router will forward.

In my experience the router 'should' forward but I have come across some
that don't do this properly.

--
Chris Green