Reinstalled Ubuntu 10.10 it's a no go...

Conny Enström uncurbed at swipnet.se
Sun Oct 9 08:15:52 UTC 2011

2011-10-08 23:10, Larry Shields skrev:
> *Well I went ahead and reinstalled ubuntu 10.10, now when it boots I am
> getting this:
> Reboot and Slect proper Boot device or insert Boot media in slected Boot
> device and press a key_
>
> Well now I have disabled the floppy drive & the CD-Rom drive the boot
> sequence is only 1 HDD whcih was saved in the setup bios, so why in the
> world is this happening...
>
> I have never had a problem like this before, and it is beating me to
> death, too many hours spending on it, trying to figure out why it will
> not boot correctly...
>
> Anyone have any idea...
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer - - I am using the Live CD to get on
> the Internet...
>
> Larry
> *

How to Restore the Grub Menu after a Re-Ghosting:

1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.

2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root
passwords as necessary.

3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.

4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or
in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the
following lines.

5. Type "root (hd0,3)".

6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use
"(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you
want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number
after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

7. Type "quit".

8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.