newbie issues: blank screen in applications / probs migrating data

Tobias Kotewitsch kotew at gmx.net
Tue Oct 4 17:49:10 UTC 2011

hi,

i'm new to ubuntu and linux, would like to migrate from win to linux but have a few serious troubles that prevent ubuntu from being a productive system. sorry if my questions can already be found on the net, i didn't find the answers!

new ubuntu with gnome classic:

1. sometimes (actually quite regularly), when opening an application / new window, i get a window with a blank screen. sometimes resizing the window helps, but not always. for example it was pretty difficult to subscribe to this mailing list, because of all those blank screens!

2. i'm using my old-windows firefox + thunderbird-profiles on an ntfs-partition. quite regularly the profiles get locked up and prevent the applications from running. creating new profiles or windows no problem.

any ideas? thx in advance!

T.