Ubuntu 11.04: Huawei E173s-2

Jason Arkell jason.arkell at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:39:18 UTC 2011

What about a manual install. Try choosing edit connection from the network icon and adding the connection manually under mobile.

Jason Arkell <jason.arkell at hotmail.com> wrote:

Use synaptic package manager to install usb-modeswitch. Should work after that. Left click the network icon and look for new mobile connection and left click on it. That will begin the setup process.

Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu (but not Linux/UNIX) and trying to get the Huawei E173s-2
modem to work on Ubuntu 11.04. Is there an update or patch to get this modem
to work on Ubuntu?

The modem Vendor and Product ID's are present in
/lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch

# Huawei E173s
ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1c0b", RUN+="usb_modeswitch
'%b/%k'"

I have to run usb_modeswitch on each plugin, but the modem will not work
without

echo "12d1 1c05" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

I have gone through the list archives and did not find much, but a few hits
come up on the Ubuntuforums. Any one know how I can get this to work like
all other modems.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.