WiFi question - easiest way to connect non-WiFi hardware to WiFi?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Oct 2 17:40:15 UTC 2011

While this is not a specifically Ubuntu/Linux question I suspect the
answers may be subtly different according to the OS one has on computers
in the same place.

I want to connect a device (a VOIP phone base station) to a WiFi
service. The WiFi isn't mine, it's a service provided for customers (of
which I am one) at a marina.  I want to get my VOIP phone to talk to the
WiFi service.

I *think* a WiFi router/access point should be able to do this but it's
not really very clear in the Web set-up how this can/should be done. Can
anyone offer me some help please.

I have the following that I *could* use to connect to the WiFi:-

    Speedtouch 716WL wireless router (quite old)
    Tenda Wireless-N router model W311R+
    Solwise 434T 3G router

Of these it feels as if the Tenda W311R+ is the most likely to be able
to be configured the way I want.  What I want is to configure the router
to be a WiFi 'client' and provide access to the internet from its
ethernet LAN connections.

--
Chris Green