DeVeDe stretches videos horizontally even with stretching disabled

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Sat Oct 1 09:05:15 UTC 2011

I've used DeVeDe to compile some home videos in various file formats
(from digital cameras) into a DVD.  Some of the videos were shot in
portrait format and I've rotated them using a script around mencoder
(see below); some of them are in landscape but have narrower aspect
ratios than the DVD defaults.  I've left most of the DeVeDe settings
at the defaults, including "Scaling mode" to "Add black bars" rather
than "Scale picture".

But when I finished and watched the DVD, all the portrait format and
narrower videos have been stretched to the full width, and they look
ridiculous.

Is this a bug in DeVeDe?  Will I need to use OpenShot or mencoder to
preprocess the videos into the right size (with space around the
content) to prevent this?

Thanks,
Adam

Script used for rotating:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# rotate video files 90° right
# mencoder -vf rotate=1 -oac copy -ovc lavc -o 20100908-132429r.avi 20100908-132429.avi
# http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToRotateAnAVIOrMPEGFileTakenInPortrait.aspx
while (@ARGV>0) {
    $oldfile = shift(@ARGV) ;
    if ($oldfile =~ /(.*)\.\w+/) {
	$base = $1 ;
    }
    else {
	$base = $oldfile ;
    }
    $newfile = $base . '_rr.mpg' ;

    @command = ('mencoder', '-vf', 'rotate=1', '-oac', 'mp3lame',
		'-ovc', 'lavc', '-o', $newfile, $oldfile);
    print ("about to run:   @command\n");
    system(@command) ;
    print ("done with:      $base\n") ;
}