The following packages cannot be authenticated

Shawn Pringle shawn.pringle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:26:16 UTC 2011

I use synaptic package manager and apt-get.  When I use apt-get, it asks
me if I am sure and I have a chance to bail out or continue installing
anyway.  I did.  Synaptic on the other hand, doesn't give me an option
to continue installing.

I haven't seen any warning like this before.  Granted, I only installed
Ubuntu 10.10 recently.  But it is strange to me that a package that is
older than Debian like Samba is be exceptional in this way.

The command 'apt-cache policy samba' outputs

samba:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:3.5.4~dfsg-1ubuntu8.5
  Version table: