problem in rendering of hindi fonts on chrome

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:16:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 03:38 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 22 September 2011 11:32, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here is the page in problem on Chrome
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410
>>>

>> Neither of those links work for me. "Sorry, that page was not found."
>
> Works for me.
>
>>> the link which I tried is http://in.jagran.yahoo.com but this problem is
>>

> And I can confirm what Tapas is seeing, both in Chrome (14.0.835.186) &
> Chromium (13.0.782.215 (Developer Build 97094 Linux) Ubuntu 10.10). The
> page renders find in SeaMonkey (2.4b3) and FireFox (6.0.2).
>
> Tapas: file a bug report against chromium. This one looks similar:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/828840
> [Fonts are being rendered improperly ]
> Upstream:
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=93670
>

> --

I have got a working solution for my problem which I reported long time back.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/856736?comments=all
Deleting the files

 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf
 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf

Every page which I reported the problem after deleting above files was
rendered correct for Indian language Hindi.

Want to know why does presence of FreeSerif.ttf and FreeSans.ttf is
affecting the rendering of Hindi (Indian language)?
Can some one suggest me what more should I do to dig this further.(May
be suggesting me a few steps as how to triage this fonts problem and
the solution which I posted will be suffice)
I have already spent a lot of time to get this working.