Using calibre safely?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 18:09:49 UTC 2011

For a few months now I've been using calibre to access the 100-or-so
ebooks that I have (mostly DRM-free PDFs).
I just became aware of a vulnerability built in to calibre.
I am not enormously worried because this is a one-user system, and the
vulnerability seems to involve privilege
escalation by authorized users.

On the other hand, it appears that my calibre is listening on a TCP
port.  It's on a laptop behind a NAT router at
the moment, so I'm still safe, but because I'd like to migrate to
another system that is exposed to the net, I'd like
it to stop network access because I'm not networking any of these
books.  Not intentionally, anyway.

I'm open to advice and suggestions, including replacing calibre with
something else, but I have to end up with access to
my library and reasonable security.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD