xfce weather applet

Steve Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Tue Nov 29 06:15:34 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 07:30 AM, sktsee wrote:

>> Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather applet
>> in Xubuntu 11.10?

> 1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running
>
> 2. Install a hex editor.
>
> 3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
> plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
> directly with the hex editor.
>
> 4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
> 3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239
>
> 5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583

I was somewhat interested in fixing this even though it's not a big deal
for me. Unfortunately, my binary doesn't contain the hex string listed
(it doesn't have even have the first two bytes "3c4c" together
anywhere). I'm using Xubuntu 11.10 and am sure I have the most current
version (I even purged the xfce4-weather-plugin package and reinstalled
it to make sure). The version I (re-)installed is 0.7.4-1.

Anyway, I don't care that much about fixing the issue; I just think it's
curious that the fix works for some people.