Worried when 10.04lts goes end of life

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:39:52 UTC 2011

2011/11/27 Alex Cockell <alex at acockell.eclipse.co.uk>:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have bought both my
> Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with Ubuntu from Linux Emporium.
> i have therefore never installed Linux myself, only accepted updates and LTS
> upgrades as required. i now hear that the user environment has completely
> changed, and I risk having my machines bricked when 12.04.1 comes around...
> Or the learning curve completely changes. Why has this happened? I've tried
> reading through some opf the info on "unity" whatever that is.. And this
> rthing with "docks"... I've always used the Taskbar...
>
> Does this mean that I am potentially going to have to pay out and buy new
> computers in order to buy this "mint"... Whatever that is?

If you want Mint, you don't need to buy a new computer for that. Mint
is free, just like Ubuntu, and it doesn't use Unity.

As someone already said, you can install two different version of
Ubuntu side by side, but you can also install Ubuntu on a USB stick or
any kind of USB drive. That way you can try it out without affecting
your current system at all. And it's a lot faster than running it from
a Live CD, and you can install things, which you can not on a Live CD.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ