Can't install (lost Admin-password)

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sat Nov 26 00:05:07 UTC 2011

Tom Rausner wrote:

> Well, it seems I can't use the GUI for installing anything, no matter
> what I do. I've changed the password for my wifes account several
> times (with succes) but neither that nor the root password works in
> GUI... But as I wrote earlier everything works in CLI. Something MUST
> be broken between the two of them.

That's not very likely, since they each ask the same coponent for
authentication.

Just to clarify, what is the username of the account for which you have
changed the password, what is the username of the account as which you
are logged in when trying to install software, and what, specifically,
are you asked for by the box requesting authentication? Does it mention
a username?

Is the account definitely a suodoer? If you open a terminal when logged
in as that user and type

sudo echo "A"

what happens?

--