Shell Script for Appllication Download

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Fri Nov 25 16:19:02 UTC 2011

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> My biggest problem is #1 - How do I find out the URL for version
> check and download?

Well, this varies depending on the app and how it's distributed. I'm
guessing this isn't for apt-provided packages, but for standalone apps?

You'll probably find you need to write a script that will retrieve a
webpage and check for some text in it, perhaps using that text to craft
a link to the latest version.

> I am also not so good with scripting, I'd appreciate help with the
> script code too...

It might be worth, for the excercise, trying a few simpler scripting
tasks first. Do you have any experience? If so, in which languages?
There's probably at least a couple of people who can help, but if
you're already conversant in, say, Python, there's little point in my
sending you Perl hints :)

--
Avi