I want to do network management on the command line

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 15:25:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2011 03:44 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
>> the network setup.  As it is, the GUI interface through
>> System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
>> it's error-prone.  I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
>> could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.
>>
>> I know some commands that do the trick.  The problem is that the
>> network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so.  I
>> tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
>> that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
>> configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.
>>
>> Help?
>>

> Ubuntu comes with 2 network systems, Network Manager, and good ol fashioned
> Debian networking.  There is a CLI/console interface to network manager, but
> I think what you really want is the classic debian networking.  Therefore
> either uninsall Network Manager or stop the service from starting.  (You
> would have to edit the network manager script in /etc/init to stop it from
> starting automatically.)
>
> Once network manager is tamed, then you can make the appropriate entries in
> /etc/network/interfaces (see man interfaces.)

My usual CLI tools are ifconfig and route.  This can establish the
simple setup I need.

My problem is usually with having my changes reversed.  Since I intend
to use this
in a live disk, changing files is not usually all that helpful and
it's too late to stop
any automated services from starting.

I'll have to check, but I seem to recall that I either was unable to
identify the service
to stop, or what I stopped was the wrong thing (because my setup got cancelled
anyway).

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD