shop computer

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 24 23:49:14 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 02:01 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 23 November 2011 16:40, Douglas Pollard<dougpol1 at verizon.net>  wrote:
>> I have an old Dell computer in my workshop that I want to run Ubuntu 10.04
>> with EMC on.  I plan to use it to operate a small cnc milling machine. I had
>> another machine that I used some, but it went the way of most old things.
>> Poof!  This Dell machine's speed is 1ghtz of  and had 512 megs of ram. This
>> should be adequate I think.  I have 10.04 installed and Grub works I also
>> have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on the second drive.  If I make my program
>> choice in Grub neither program will run.  The BIOS are set to run in the
>> original Dell mode.    Do I need to make a change in the Bios to allow
>> Ubuntu to run? While I am at it i am learning some things with some of the
>> off topic posts, so they are not all bad:-) .  Thanks, Doug
> You shouldn't /need/ to make any changes, no.
>
> I'd suggest just sticking to one version at a time - it's much
> simpler. Multiple parallel installations confuse me and I am fairly
> expert at such things!
>
> How big are its hard disks?

Liam. My first drive is 20 g the second is 40.  Yes I will be taking the
unbuntu in the seond drive out.  I had installed 10.04 and couldn't get
it to run so installed 11.10  on the second to just to see if it would
run.  The machine had xp in it and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on that
drive.  Xp was running Ok but I don't have any use for it.
                                        Doug